The Dickinson Memorial Literary Competition for 2021 is inviting entries from children and adults who are blind or have low vision, with ‘Growing’ the theme for its 100th year.
To enter, pen a short story or poem and be in the running to win cash prizes. There is also a special “People’s Choice” award that will be open to anyone, including those who are sighted. All entries in this category will be published on the Braille House website with the audience choosing the winner.
Entry cost is $10 per category and there are six categories for all ages to enter. Prize money is awarded in every category: $350 first prize per category and $150 second prize per category.
The categories are:
- Adult Short Story
- Adult Poem/Song Lyrics/Limerick
- Adult Article/Opinion e.g.: self-reflection, blog
- Senior Student Creative Category, e.g: story, poem, song lyrics, limerick, blog,
- Junior Student Creative Category, e.g: story, poem, song lyrics, limerick, blog
- People’s Choice Category – Short Story. (All People’s Choice” entries will be published online for the public to vote).
Manuscripts must be an unpublished work, not on offer for publication before the announcement of the awards and not recognised in any other competition.
Entries close August 30, 2021, and can be submitted in hard copy Braille, Simbraille, Duxbury-readable file or in a word document.
To enter go to: https://www.braillehouse.org.au/dickinson-2021/